Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Overcomer

2 weeks ago, Jason and I were preparing our house to have our Sunday night group over.  We had the music blaring while cleaning and cooking and one of my favorite songs came on, "Overcomer" by Mandisa. I love this woman's music! It's so uplifting and fun--which is one of the many reasons it frequents the speakers in my classroom (along with her song "Good Morning"--which we sing and dance around the room most mornings as well--we definitely have fun in there!). 
As I listened to the song that I've heard over, and over and saw the video playing I became overwhelmed with an awareness of the deep love and admiration I have for the kids I teach. Even now, I have tears in my eyes as I think about playing this song in the morning or afternoon and seeing all my kids jumping up and down, dancing, and singing (or more like YELLING) "You're an overcomer". It never sunk it with me until 2 weeks ago the true beauty of that small moment. My children who are in the special education class singing at the top of their lungs that they are overcomers. Let that settle with you and stir in your heart. They are. They truly are.

"You're an overcomer
Stay in the fight til' the final round
You're not going under
'Cause God is holding you right now
You might be down for a moment 
Feeling like it's hopeless
That's when He reminds You
That you're an overcomer
You're an overcomer"

My prayer for my students is that they will always feel like overcomers, for the rest of their lives. That they will actually be overcomers through the trials that they will face on this side of eternity. I thank and praise God, again and again, for the deep love and joy He's shared with me through my job. He has shown me so many things about Him and His heart and I pray that I will always be aware of what He's teaching me. May I never take for granite the task He has given me and the way He has made me love these students so incredibly much. 

Bring on the new kiddos in just a short 8 days. 
I. Can't. Wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment