Sunday, March 2, 2014

Psalm 23--Grandaddy

Tom Smith, my grandfather passed away yesterday morning. 
When I called my mom to talk to her, she told me that Nana told her on the phone she had always loved Psalm 23:
"The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures. 
He leads me beside still waters. 
He restores my soul. 
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, 
I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; 
you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. "
I want to share with you all some words from my mother that she shared earlier this week when we first learned that Grandaddy fell into a coma--words that I think sum it all up, that share our thankfulness to God and where our hearts are/have been through this journey. 

"We worship a God who is kind and merciful.  You all know my Dad was diagnosed in the fall with a brain tumor. Since that time, he has slowly gotten more weak and confused but has had no pain from the cancer.  This past Tuesday he fell into a deep sleep and his condition has not changed.  We believe he is in he final stage of going to be with The Lord.  They are moving him to the hospice facility to get the care he needs.  Please pray for him, that he will continue to be comfortable and that the Lord will graciously take him home to rest with Him.  He has fought a good fight.  Also, be in prayer for my Mom.  They have been married for almost 63 years, their anniversary is March 17th.  She has been right by his side and lovingly taken care of him these last few months.  It has been a sweet testimony to my heart of sacrificial love and care.  Thank you for lifting my family up in prayer at such a sweet and tender time.  God's care for His children follows them until their very last breath and on into eternity.  We worship a faithful God!"

I am so thankful for the Ultimate Healer that we worship and run to in times such as these.  God is good, all the time--and that, is where our hearts can rest.

I find myself often time relating to music during times such as these and I want to share the lyrics to an Indelible Grace song entitled:
"On Jordan's Story Banks"
"It's a song that speaks of the new heavens and the new earths--the new and future Canaan; the heavenly hope that we shall know as Eden.  The hymn pictures for us a people of God "bound for the promised land" while standing "on Jordan's stormy banks." If you have gone through trials and tribulations of great difficulty, stormy banks you could say, then this hymn is for you and for us who stand in the midst of it."

On Jordan's stormy banks I stand, 
and cast a wishful eye
to Canaan's fair and happy land, 
where my possessions lie.

All o'er those wide extended plains, 
shines one eternal day;
there God the Son forever reigns, 
and scatters night away.

I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound for the Promised Land,
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound for the Promised Land. 

No chilling winds nor poisonous breath
can reach that healthful shore;
Sickness, sorrow, pain and death, 
are felt and feared no more

I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound for the Promised Land,
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound for the Promised Land. 

When shall I reach that happy place, 
and be forever blessed?
When shall I see my Father's face, 
and in His bosom rest?

I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound for the Promised Land,
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound for the Promised Land. 
I love this version because you can hear all of God's people singing out to him, resounding with the hope that "we are bound for the promised land" what a hopeful joy we have in Christ Jesus!
Thank you for all of your prayers, your kind and encouraging words, your hugs--there's no place we would rather be than surrounded with the love of our brothers and sisters in Christ. Please continue to pray for my sweet Nana--pray that the Lord will continue to comfort her and wrap His arms around her.

No comments:

Post a Comment