Thursday, March 6, 2014

Maple Banana Spice Cake (Muffins)

For the most part, Jason and I try to eat healthy foods. 
The past 2 weeks, we have been juicing for breakfast and my body is actually starting to really like it! It's such a different way to get all of the nutrients that we miss out on when we choose to over cook/over season our veggies. I know I've had more raw veggies these past 2 weeks than I have in years. So far so good on the juicing! It's been an adjustment, but I know it's something I need!

But with that being said, we also still have a HUGE sweet tooth and I'm a big time snacker. If you were to ever wonder who initiates our "cheat nights" it's 98% of the time me (guilty, guilty, guilty) so I am quite thankful for a husband who can show self control--an attribute I often times lack when it comes to yummy food goodness! When trying to eat well/nutritiously, I have personally found that it's so important to have some "go to's" that can help you transition (back) into the healthy eating style. One of our "go to's" are these Maple Banana Spice Muffins--they don't sound too healthy, I know! But they are a much healthier ALTERNATIVE to how muffins are usually made. I wanted to share the recipe with you all so you can either a.) try something deliciously new or b.) just add a little health variation to your muffins. 

This recipe comes from "Primal Cravings: Your Favorite Foods Made Paleo" (which is my favorite cookbook we have in the house--it has some really awesome goodies in it!)

Maple  Banana Spice Cake (Muffins)
I make ours into muffins because they are easier to manage portion control and easier to take to work 
Makes: 1.5 quart loaf or 12 large muffins
What you need:
1/2 cup butter, melted (plus more for the pan)--we use coconut oil instead of butter and it works beautifully
1/2 cup maple syrup--organic and pure maple syrup 
1 cup mashed banana (about 2 large)
4 eggs--we get ours from the local farmer's market (free range chickens)
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
(their recipe also calls for 1/2 teaspoon of powdered ginger & grounded cloves--we have never used these because we didn't have them and they turn out great!)
then I also add in:
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup chia seeds (great health benefits from chia seed)
handful of shredded coconut
handful of dark chocolate chips
2 handfuls of chopped pecans

What you do:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a 1.5 quart oven safe loaf pan (or muffin pan)

In a large bowl whisk together melted butter (or melted coconut oil) and maple syrup, then whisk in mashed bananas and eggs

In another smaller bowl, whisk together coconut flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, and spices

Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and mix until thoroughly incorporated.  Pour the batter into the loaf pan (or spoon into the muffin pan)

Bake until the edges are golden brown and the center is cooked through, about 50 mins to 1 hour (33-35 minutes for the muffins). 

Let me know what you think if you give it a try! I promise you won't be disappointed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment