Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Indian Butter Chicken & Recuperation

Happy Wednesday everyone! 
We are halfway through the week. 
My fellow teachers and friends who have summer's off--it is FLYING BY! 
I can't believe that it's almost July. 
Only 34 days left before we go back to work (cue the tears). 

Today, I have an amazingly delicious recipe to share with you all plus a little update on what's been going on here of late. 

Indian Butter Chicken
What you need:
2 tablespoons ghee or butter
2 pounds boneless chicken thighs (we used breast), cut into bite size pieces
1 yellow onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon freshly minced ginger
2 teaspoon garam masala (whole foods carries this spice)
1 teaspoon tumeric
½ teapsoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon salt
2 (14 ounce) cans of full fat coconut milk
1 cup tomato sauce
cilantro, to garnish
lime wedges, to garnish
coconut cauliflower rice (we used wild rice for convenience--for it to be truly paleo you would need to make her coconut cauliflower rice--I provided you with the link). 

What you do:
Add ghee (or butter) to a large sauté pan over medium heat. 
Add chicken and a pinch of salt and cook on all sides until chicken is browned but not fully cooked through, about 10 minutes. 
Remove and set aside.
To the pan, add onion and garlic and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until onion becomes translucent. Add ginger, garam masala, turmeric, cayenne pepper, cumin, and salt. 
Mix with a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom of the pan for about 30 seconds.
Add coconut milk and tomato sauce and bring to a low simmer for about 5 minutes, then add chicken back to the pan and let cook for 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
Serve with coconut cauliflower rice (or wild rice), cilantro and squeeze fresh lime juice on top.
Original recipe found here. 

This recipe was AMAZING. Jason and I love Indian food (we are big, BIG Spice Avenue fans) and this dish hit the spot. 

In other news, the tooth fairy still comes to see you when you're almost 27 years old and you get 3 of your permanent teeth removed 
When I was about, 10 (I think--possibly younger) we went to the Dentist for a routine cleaning, x-rays, and all that jazz. It was that day that we were told that I have little to no root in my upper teeth. Before I start this up, let's keep in mind that I am no dentist and I'm just sharing what I've learned over the years from dealing with all of this "tooth mess". Most people's roots in their teeth are super long and are part of what hold your teeth in your head. I found myself googling "tooth x-ray of someone with little to no roots in their teeth" and found nothing that looks remotely like mine. I'll have to upload them for you all one day so you can see what I'm talking about.
Simply put, because of my lack of roots, my permanent teeth were not stable--with some more loose than others. In February 2008, I got my first tooth implant. Then, Monday, I got my 2nd one, along with removing 3 of my permanent teeth for a future implant bridge. 
So now, all four of my front teeth are G.O.N.E. I look like a 1st grader who lost all those teeth at just the right time ;) Thankfully, dentistry can work magic and I am NOT walking around with my front, four teeth missing. I do have a retainer with some teeth attached to it to get me through the next few months. So now, we are waiting 6 months for my gum to heal and for some bone to...set??...(not sure of the right words for that?) and then, will come the final teeth. 

We have been praying over and waiting for this (what we hope to be) final step for many, many years now and it's a little scary and makes me a little nervous, but I am thankful that it's even an option and hopeful that I will love the outcome! 

My sweet, sweet husband has been the best caretaker while I'm recovering and I am so very thankful for him and all he's done/is doing. 
For the time being, I'm sleeping, watching movies, catching up on TV and relaxing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment