Friday, June 3, 2016

20 Years at LPC for Papa Steve

Sunday, June 2, 1996.
20 years ago. 
I was going to start the 1st grade that August.
20 years ago, my Dad preached his first sermon at Lakeland Presbyterian Church. 
Little did we know what this church and this church family would mean to our family. 
My siblings and I grew up going to Sunday School under the teaching of Mr. John High. Walking around after church to find Mr. Lonnie to snag a peppermint--red or green? Many summers spent at VBS, first attending and then volunteering. Countless Wednesday night fellowship meals. We've seen this church and this body of believers grow like wildfire. We've seen the building itself grow with a family life center and the most recent educational building addition. 
This church holds so much our family's lives and is at the core of so many wonderful memories.
The church where I was married, Mary Claire was married, and Aaron was married--all weddings that my Dad officiated. 
The Lord has ABUNDANTLY blessed our family through this church and all that He has done through this "little white church" on the corner of Lakeland Drive. 
 I will end this post with what my Dad shared this morning on a Facebook post: 

"20 YEARS AGO on the first Sunday of June, I preached my first regular sermon at Lakeland Presbyterian Church! I was 44 years old (and yes, I had hair, and it was dark)! The years have literally flown by, and now I have ministered at Lakeland PCA for as long as my Father ministered to the congregation at Bay Street Presbyterian Church in Hattiesburg, MS! What’s so encouraging is how blessed my family and I have been to be part of such a wonderful congregation! We’ve absolutely loved living here with you in the Brandon / Flowood area for all these years. Leading worship, preaching, teaching, marrying, baptizing, “funeralizing”, visiting, counseling, befriending, discipling, praying, and most of all just being blessed by your consistently gracious, generous love and unwavering support has been for us an amazing experience. I look forward once again to ministering the Word to you this coming Lord’s Day, June 5, 2016! Lord willing, the best days in the life of the church family that IS Lakeland PCA are yet to come (Philippians 1:3-6)! To GOD be the glory! Great things HE has done! I LOVE YOU ALL VERY MUCH!
In Christ, Pastor Steve Jussely"
6/5/16 update: Thankful that my Mom snapped this snapshot of Dad this morning to document his 20 year milestone at Lakeland Presbyterian.
Again, what a multitude of blessings our family has received through The Lord's provision of this church and church family. What a joy and a privilege it has been growing up listening to my Dad preach The truths of the gospel. Thankful today, and everyday for God's goodness and faithfulness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment