Friday, January 31, 2014

Reads for 2013

For...4 years now I've been writing down every book that I've read. As I've shifted into the "real world" the amount of books per year has dwindled, greatly (unfortunately).  
I like love to read. It's my television (don't get me wrong, I will get hooked on a good show as you all know) but (yes, I'm about to get dramatic) if I had to choose to eternally watch TV or read books--it would be a no brainer--books all the way! 

So, as I was finishing up a book tonight-I decided I wanted to share with you all these "little bounded beauties" that I share so much of my time with. So, with that being said--here's my "Reads for 2013". I am now committed to sharing this with you yearly, now and forever more ;)

Unfortunately, not all books are pictured because I borrowed 2 of them and have 1 of them on loan right now as well! But nonetheless, here you go! 
(If any of the books peek your interest, click the title and I've provided you a link to them on Amazon)

"Faithful God" Sinclair B Fergueson--although he can be a little hard to read and uses some really big words (which I wasn't ashamed to say that I had to look up) this book was used as a bible study guide with a group of close girlfriends of mine. It was a wonderful book that took you through the book in the Bible, Ruth. It resounded with God's Faithfulness for His people and the paths some of them (Ruth, Naomi, Boaz) took to get there. 
Great read, fairly short. 

"Radical" David Platt--this one was read as a suggestion by Jason. A challenging book and by that I mean, challenges you in your faith and makes you think about what you are doing. I wouldn't necessarily say that we all need to be as radical as people featured in this book because I fully believe God will guide and lead you where He wants you to go--doing what He wants you to do, ultimately. But it was just refreshing to read stories about God's people, my brothers and sisters in Christ, doing these amazing, radical things. I have 2 posts on a previous blog of mine that share a bit more about "Radical" and some of the great things found in the book. 

Not pictured--"Joni" Joni Eareckson Tada--I was loaned this book by a church member when they heard I was going to intern with Joni and Friends last summer. 
This book is amazing. If you want to read a real, raw, book that brings all the glory to God, even in situations where you wonder, "why is this even happening?" this is the book. It is the beautiful, scary truth of loving God and seeing His faithfulness to us in ways we may not always understand. 
I would ESPECIALLY recommend this book to people who have no idea who Joni Eareckson Tada is and what she does and how much she intensely loves Jesus. 
Wonderful, quick read. 

"A Praying Life" Paul Miller--I've always struggled with my prayer life--so I picked up this book at a youth conference one summer (about 3 years ago) and just now finally read it this summer. It's awesome. It's practical. It's very real. I took away some great ideas on how to help make prayer a more regular part of my life. It's definitely a work in progress, but Paul Miller is a wonderful encourager and wrote a great book. 

Not pictured because on loan--"Primal Blueprint" Mark Sisson--All about eating, health, exercise, primal living--really a book that changed our lifestyle. It was so interesting reading about the reason behind why we need to eat certain foods, why we need to avoid certain foods. Things that we've all heard--but this time, with reason and explanation. Not going to lie to you and say this was an easy read, because some of the "factual" chapters were so boring to me--but it's a really useful book. 

Not pictured--"Will You Be My Facebook Friend" Tim Chester--very short, like... hour read. This book was great--especially in our day in age where we are DRIVEN and CAPTURED by technology and social media (as I post on my computer on my blog ;) ) it was just, helpful to be reminded of how dangerous social media really can be and to hear some truths that are not brought to the surface. 
Would definitely recommend this one--great for a doctor's office visit to pass the time ;)

"Meaning of Marriage" Tim Keller--Jason and I had to read this for our premarital counseling and it doesn't matter if you are single, dating, engaged, married--whatever your current "relational status" may be--read this book! IT IS WONDERFUL. I can't say enough good things about this book and how it really opened our eyes, and our hearts to the true meaning of marriage. We plan to make it a yearly read. 

"11th Hour" James Patterson--If you love thrillers, mysteries, suspense--James Patterson is the master. About 5 summers ago I read all of his books that make up "The Women's Murder Club" and I highly suggest you do the same. They are so good--and very, very quick reads. The perfect leisure reads (that will keep you wondering/guessing). Read them all! Number 13 coming out May 5th!

"Divergent" and "Insurgent" Veronica Roth--The first 2 books in the 3 book series. This series is WONDERFUL! Comparable to the Hunger Games but BETTER in my opinion. Surprises, romance, really great reads. 

My hope is to double my "reads" for 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment