Sunday, October 15, 2017

"The Why's & The When's"

This past Sunday we had our Women's Conference at the church and it was fantastic. 
Mrs. Pauline Rogers was the speaker and not only did I hear her testimony and about her lifetime work that she is so passionate about, but I also learned a neat story about our family through it all as well. 

I asked my Mom to share the story of how she and Pauline met and their relationship:

"I met Pauline Rogers about 28 years ago and our paths have crossed ever since.  Steve and I were serving the congregation of Altawoods Presbyterian Church.  A group of ladies from the MS Correctional Facility were coming to our church to do a program under the work of Ms. Wendy Hatcher. We were in the fellowship hall visiting with ladies when Pauline (a prisoner) asked if she could hold my little baby.  Ellen was maybe two months old.  I will never forget the feeling inside of me.  I was thinking "This tall prisoner wants to hold my little bitty baby, and I do not even know why she is in prison."  This happened right after I had walked through the darkest time in my life.  Our second baby, Adam, had died and we had waited about 6 or 7 months to get pregnant again. Finally, a healthy baby girl had been given to us, precious little Ellen and here was this lady in prison wanting to hold her.  Not having the courage to say no, I handed Ellen over to Pauline.  She enjoyed her so much.  Pauline had this beautiful smile on her face and it was a sight to see.  Some months later I went to see my OB/GYN and who do I see in the office...Pauline.  Dr. McMillan, who was my doctor, had made the decision to hire Pauline as a maid at my clinic after she left the prison and through the years had trained her as a nurse.  She worked at the clinic for 27 years and many times when I would go, I sought her out and we would give each other a hug.  She later took over the prison ministry that Wendy Hatcher began and once again we would be in contact with each other about the prison ministry for women and their needs for Christmas.  Only The Lord knew the bond we would develop over the years from that one afternoon when a "tall prisoner lady" asked to hold my little bitty baby girl, Ellen."

I loved that story. 

As Pauline spoke to all of us that morning, she really focused in on the fact that we ask a lot of "why?" questions. "Why" causes us to ask baffling questions. All throughout The Bible people ask God "why?" The disciples, the men who were closest to Jesus--right under His teachings every day, asked "why?" Even Jesus on the cross asked "why have You forsaken me?"

So, how do we transition from the "why's?" to the "when's"

"When" is used often throughout the scriptures as well. "When will it change?"
"When" requires an action--it deals with a plan, it deals with a decision. 
When the prodigal son came home. When Jesus died on the cross. When the thief was on the cross next to Jesus. When you are converted. When you love Jesus. 

God has a reason behind each "why" and each "when" that we have throughout our lives. 

Pauline watched her Mother kill her Father.
She spent 6 years in prison for stealing.
While in prison, she met Wendy Hatcher--a tiny woman whose presence demanded respect--a woman who you wanted to respect. 
When she was released from prison, she lived with Wendy for 3 years until she met her husband. 

Wendy helped to answer many of the "why's" that Pauline had as she become her "when"

It was just so neat to hear how The Lord worked in Pauline's life while she was in prison and how even to this day, she is working with women who have been in prison and trying to help them start on their "when's" 

Here is a link to Wendy's book where you can read more about her and her life story/mission--I haven't read it but, definitely look forward to doing so!

No comments:

Post a Comment