Monday, October 9, 2017

"Good, Good Father"

Yesterday's sermon was good--like, really good. 

Dad was preaching on Luke 11:1-13 and had two main points:

1. When you pray, assume the WILLINGNESS of God (vs. 5-10)
According to Psalm 121:4, The Lord never sleeps, never slumbers--He is always there. 
He does not need to be pestered into listening to our prayers, He is gracious, He is always willing to answer prayer, anytime. 
In this passage, we have The Lord's Prayer and this is what we're praying when we recite it:
"Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name."--for His preeminence--start with God, not ourselves.
"Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven."--for His program--that we will live under His authority. 
"Give us day by day our daily bread."--for His provision--we are acknowledging that we are dependent people and need what only He can provide. 
"And forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us."--for His pardon--forgiveness. "The entire life of a believer is to be a life of repentence"--Martin Luther
"And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.”--for His protection--not if, but when we are pulled down the wrong path. 

2. When you pray, assume the TRUSTWORTHINESS of God
Trust is a major component of any relationship. 
Our demeanor towards a person totally transforms when we know that we have someone we can trust, someone to love us completely. 
If we cannot trust someONE, we can always trust THE ONE, our Heavenly Father. 
Throughout time, one of the most transformative relationships you can have is with your father--our earthly father's should be reflective of our Heavenly Father and how He loves us. 

If these imperfect fathers can give good gifts to their children, how much MORE will our Heavenly Father give us good things?

God has already graced us with the ultimate good--His Son and our salvation--what can He do that is possibly better than what He's already done for us?

He is willing and He can be trusted. 



This line right here is what really struck a chord with me: "If these imperfect fathers can give good gifts to their children, how much MORE will our Heavenly Father give us good things?"

My Dad is a good Dad. 
I am so incredibly thankful for my Dad and the constant love, support, and guidance he has shown to our family. 
I have childhood, teenage, and adult memories that all involve him--intentional time that was carved out specifically for spent together (and is still being spent together to this day).
My Dad is a good, good Dad. 
I will not ever take for granted the parents that I have and the feeling of security and love they have instilled in our family. I know that not everyone can relate when I say how much I love my parents and how good, merciful, and full of grace they have been to my siblings and me. 
I've learned that truth in a very tangible way since becoming a teacher in a "high needs" school. 
I have many (most) students that walk into my classroom each and every day that do not have "good" parents or "good" feelings when talking about their parents. They do not have parents that show interest, that help them, that tell them they are cherished, safe, and cared for. 

But even so, even when we do not have earthly fathers that are good and even when the best fathers do all that they know how and we at times still feel unloved, we can rest assured that our Heavenly Father loves us. He cherishes us. He helps us. He is interested in us. We are safe in Him. We are secure in Him. He cares for us, for every part of us. 

"Good" Dad or not, you are a child that is cherished and valued more than you can fathom and that is "good". It's hard to wrap my head around the fact (and it's a sure-fire fact) that the God of the universe, the very one who knit together the skies, the lands, and all that's within it loves us (YOU) and is willing and trustworthy. 

Praise God for earthly Fathers that show us how much we need the love of our Heavenly Father and how sometimes, that's all we have
and
Praise God for earthly Fathers that reflect the love of our Heavenly Father and give us the tiniest tastes of his never-ending, never-stopping, unwavering, humungous love for His children. 



I want to end with the lyrics to Chris Tomlin's song, "Good, Good Father"

I've heard a thousand stories of what they think you're like
But I've heard the tender whispers of love in the dead of night
And you tell me that you're pleased
And that I'm never alone

You're a good good father
It's who you are, it's who you are, it's who you are
And I'm loved by you
It's who I am, it's who I am, it's who I am

I've seen many searching for answers far and wide
But I know we're all searching
For answers only you provide
'Cause you know just what we need
Before we say a word

You're a good good father
It's who you are, it's who you are, it's who you are
And I'm loved by you
It's who I am, it's who I am, it's who I am

Because you are perfect in all of your ways
You are perfect in all of your ways
You are perfect in all of your ways to us

Oh, it's love so undeniable
I, I can hardly speak
Peace so unexplainable
I, I can hardly think
As you call me deeper still
As you call me deeper still
As you call me deeper still
Into love, love, love

You're a good good father
It's who you are, it's who you are, it's who you are
And I'm loved by you
It's who I am, it's who I am, it's who I am

You are perfect in all of your ways
It's who you are, it's who you are, it's who you are
And I'm loved by you
You are perfect in all of your ways
It's who I am, it's who I am, it's who I am

No comments:

Post a Comment