Monday, December 1, 2014

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas

Since Friday, I've been singing that song in my head. 
Last year, Jason & I were gone the week of Thanksgiving. So, as you can imagine, no Christmas decorating happened until like...the middle of December. We got home and on top of all the territory that comes with being a newly wed, I wanted to decorate our house for Christmas. It was a must. Thankfully, we had some leftover "gift return (duplicate)" money and we were able to decorate the house very mildly. Ohhhh, I was a happy camper! 
My gift to myself was the beautiful Willow Tree Nativity set. I love it more this year than I did the last. The simplicity of it is so stunning to me. 

This year was no different as far as decorating goes--other than the fact that over the span of a year I did accumulate a few new Christmas decor items. Some little trees to put up. Some of my grandmother's ornaments. Our bookcase made from our wedding doors also was new this year so it was sprinkled with decorations! My first Nutcracker! I love it all. I wish it were acceptable to leave Christmas decorations out year long (which then I'm sure I wouldn't love them as much though if that were the case). 

I also added one more set of lights outside this year to even it all out! (Not that they even made the picture). There's no prettier sight than driving up to your home that's lit with Christmas lights.
And last but not least, the tree!
I'll end with my "tree topper story"
Growing up, we've had this white angel on our tree for as long as I can remember. 
So last year, when Jason and I were trying to decide what things we wanted to get to decorate for Christmas, I just had to have an angel. I thought it would be fun to carry that over to our house as well. WELL, we start out on this angel search and we're coming up empty handed everywhere we go. We check the places like: Kohls, Lowes, Hobby Lobby, etc. first and nothing. nada. So, we head to old faithful, Walmart. We're skimming the rows and I see it! I see the perfect angel. It's even white, similar to the one my parents have. I am like, so pumped that we came out victoriously! 
We get home and we're adding the finishing touch to our tree, this precious angel. 
I plug it in....and I'm...speechless.
Not because it's so beautiful, but because my sweet, little, white angel, lights up with blue, green, purple, and yellow LED LIGHTS! I. was. mortified.
But then of course, the surprise turns into laughter and I've decided that I'm just going to keep it because one day, our children (or someone) may ask about it, and I'll be able to tell them about my first wifey fail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment