Monday, January 1, 2018

Reads for 2017

365 days, 17 books.
Each book title will take you to the link on Amazon where you can purchase the book if you so wish.
Also, to see all of my previous posts with my "reads" for past years, you can follow this link and it will take you to any of my posts that I've labeled with "book recommendations".

"Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls (and Everything in Between)" Lauren Graham--After binge watching Gilmore Girls over Christmas Break last year, it only made sense to read Lauren Graham's (Lorelai) book. It reads the same way that she talks. It was fun to read and I so enjoyed following along with how her life has been and the steps she took to make it where she is today. I really enjoyed it!

"12th of Never" James Patterson--If you like mystery/thrillers and you've never read a James Patterson book, do yourself a HUGE favor and get one (once you're done reading this post ;) I love his books. They are so easy to read, 1-4 page chapters so you can literally fly through them. They are so interesting and there's always, ALWAYS a huge twist that you aren't expecting. I started reading the Women's Murder Club books back in 2008. One summer, I read 2-8 in about a 3 week span. They are that good! 12th of Never was still as amazing as I remember them all being. I was draw in, immediately and couldn't put it down. Great book.

I also realized while I was looking back over my reading lists that I had never read books 9 and 10 in the series! I somehow skipped right to 11--my OCD tendencies can't believe it. So, naturally, you know what's coming next. I'm not going to give my thoughts on each of these. I will just say that if mystery/thrillers are your thing...read these books.

"9th Judgement" James Patterson

"10th Anniversary" James Patterson

"Unlucky 13" James Patterson

"The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert" Rosaria Butterfield--Earlier this year, I went to hear Dr. Butterfield speak and she was so captivating. Not only is she a phenomenal speaker, so eloquent and brilliant, but she also has a testimony that is so moving. Her book was just as great. I definitely recommend it.

"A Little Princess" Frances Hodgson Burnett--I had never read this book. I had only ever seen the movie and it's one of my favorite movies. It's so sweet and touching. I can remember watching it as a little girl and I recently re-watched it and still loved it just as much. The book was just as great! I thought it was wonderful. Not to mention, I got this beautiful leather-bound one from Barnes & Noble (here). It's so pretty with a few illustrated pictures scattered throughout! I really enjoyed reading this book.

"The Beauty and the Beast" Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot De Villeneuve--I got this book soon after seeing the live-action Beauty and the Beast that was released this year. This book is STUNNING. It's so cool. It's "lavishly illustrated with interactive elements"--yes it is! It's so neat. It's definitely a collectors item. I didn't want it to just sit on my bookshelf so of course, I read it. From what I understand this book is the original story and it's actually pretty different than the movie that we know and love. I personally liked the movie better (the original one) but, the book was good and definitely worth reading--especially one this beautiful and different.

"14th Deadly Sin" James Patterson

"15th Affair" James Patterson

"16th Seduction" James Patterson--The latest book from James Patterson's Women's Murder Club series. I was pumped to get my hands on this one! It did not disappoint. Again, this series is really good if you enjoy mystery/thriller books. You can't go wrong with James Patterson.

"Inkheart" Cornelia Funke--This trilogy was recommended to me quite sometime ago and I finally got around to ordering the books and just after book 1, I am not disappointed! This book was great. It was an easy read with short(ish) chapters. You fall in love with (most) of the characters upfront and the story itself is so creative! I am heading to the beach next week and will be reading books 2 and 3 of the series! Book one definitely set the pace and made you want to read more.

"Inkspell" Cornelia Funke

"Inkdeath" Cornelia Funke--After finishing this series I would definitely recommend it! The story itself is such a neat concept and I really liked how they ended the series. Definitely worth the read!

"The Meaning of Marriage" Tim Keller--I haven't read this book since before Jason and I got married and my goodness--it was great to read again, now 4 years married. It was funny, at times, to look at what I underlined and was interested in before being married and had not a clue of what marriage would be like. This book is full of good, good truths about marriage as it relates to the bible and is a must-read for everyone.

"Fish In A Tree" Lynda Mullaly Hunt--This book was given to me as a recommendation and I am so glad it was. It was such a great book--especially for teachers or students/families that have children struggling with dyslexia (or other learning exceptionalities). This book follows Ally Nickerson and shares with us her troubles with school (reading especially). That is, until a new teacher comes into the mix and things change for Ally. I was crying through the last 10 pages--it's a quick read and it's a great read. Definitely pick this one up!

"The Snow Queen" Hans Christian Andersen--For the past 2 years, I've made it a point to read a Christmas book over my winter break. This year, Snow Queen was my choice. I got this beautiful version from amazon (click the title) and it was a quick, easy read. Mom and I saw The Snow Queen ballet a few years ago and I just never realized it was a book! It's definitely worth the read.

What were your favorite reads for 2017?

No comments:

Post a Comment