Monday, July 27, 2015

26 on the 26th

I celebrated my "golden birthday" yesterday (aka, turning 26 on the 26th). 
It was such a fun day--well, really week/weekend! It's always fun to have a birthday week ;) 
We were at the beach with my parents all of last week and we celebrated some there with my annual crab legs from Blalocks--which were to die for, as usual. It was a week full of relaxation, good fun, great sun, and the best company. 






 Our new, fun, Sunski sunglasses. These bad boys are SO LIGHT and SO amazing. 
When we got home from the beach we had a wedding to attend and then went to Babalu's with Melissa & Ian to celebrate my birthday.
Look at this beautiful bride! Such a sweet wedding with one of the happiest brides I've ever seen!


Now, I want to give credit where credit's due and I THINK I first saw this sweet birthday tradition from my Cousin, Carrie. She said that her Mom always sent her the Psalm passage that corresponded with her age on her birthday. I absolutely loved that idea and have adopted it for our family. 

Psalm 26
I Will Bless the Lord

 Vindicate me, O Lord,
    for I have walked in my integrity,
    and I have trusted in the Lord without wavering.
 Prove me, O Lord, and try me;
    test my heart and my mind.
 For your steadfast love is before my eyes,
    and I walk in your faithfulness.
 I do not sit with men of falsehood,
    nor do I consort with hypocrites.
 I hate the assembly of evildoers,
    and I will not sit with the wicked.
 I wash my hands in innocence
    and go around your altar, O Lord,
 proclaiming thanksgiving aloud,
    and telling all your wondrous deeds.
 O Lord, I love the habitation of your house
    and the place where your glory dwells.
 Do not sweep my soul away with sinners,
    nor my life with bloodthirsty men,
 in whose hands are evil devices,
    and whose right hands are full of bribes.
But as for me, I shall walk in my integrity;
    redeem me, and be gracious to me.
 My foot stands on level ground;
    in the great assembly I will bless the Lord.

I love what the footnote of my "Gospel Transformation Bible" (this Bible is a gem that everyone needs--it takes passages and has notes at the bottom, for every part, that "show how the message of the Bible culminates in Christ, and how the grace of God applies to our everyday lives in a heart-transforming way." I have really enjoyed mine) says about this passage: 

"To be in God's presence as a worshipper is to see the glory of His love, and to see His love is to be motivated to faithfulness.  Motivation is one thing, however, but ability is another.  So David pleads to be vindicated or distinguished from "hypocrites" and "evildoers".  Far from boasting, David's pronouncements are implicit prayers for help in his pursuit of holiness.  Recognition of God's threat of judgement against the unholy should be enough to keep anyone from boasting. With The Lord's steadfast love before his eyes of faith, David sees God to be a gracious redeemer, which emboldens him to ask for vindication.  With God's grace as his focal point, he has pursued a publicly worshipful life of gratitude.  The result has been "integrity" in his dealings, moral separation in his social life, and humble passion in worship.  Yet this determination to walk uprightly is not a moralistic, self-generated effort; David knows he needs redemption and grace.  Because of this grace, whatever happens, David stands on level ground.  The ultimate way in which God secured this redemption and grace was in the sending of his own Son, to whom God was not gracious, so that grace could be extended to sinners such as David--and us."

My prayer as I embark on this next year of life is that I will see the glory of His love to and for me and that His love will motivate me to faithfulness (and thankfulness) to Him in all things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment