Thursday, May 2, 2013

1st Annual Fondren Challenge

Y'all--we are about to have posts overload here in the next few days--please forgive me in advance.
I have so much exciting news to catch you all up on!

Even though I am a little late, I want to share with you something fun that Jason, Melissa, Ian and myself did a few weekends ago.
The 1st Annual Fondren Challenge--what's that you ask? Well, it was explained to me as something similar to the "amazing race" which I've never seen so that did not prepare me all too well--but I knew that it would be scavenger hunt-ish and that we would be doing some running around.
Ready to start the challenge
We got there and amongst all of the other teams there, I'm not all too sure we were prepared for what we were getting ourselves in to.
We decided to leave our phones in the car so we didn't have anything weighing us down (bad decision as you will find out).
So, we are anticipating starting and 5:00 rolls around--here we go!
The announcer heads up, front and center and begins to explain the rules:
Each team (of 2) was given a sheet with 14 tasks on it--we were each to complete 9 of them.
The list was nothing but riddles--for example, "the creator of the big mac lives here" -- if you thought Ronald McDonald house, you were correct and you should sign up for the race next year :)
13 other riddles like that--that lead us all around the Fondren area--from the JSU stadium, to the hospital, to Rainbow cafe, to butterfly yoga, to Babalus, to many other places and then finally back to our starting point at Que Sera Sera (see what I mean by leaving our phones was a bad decision!!! We were allowed to use them!)

BUT WAIT, here's the kicker; at each station/location we had to do a task--and this is where our many sets of skills came in handy (insert sarcastic voice), but really--we all helped out in one way or another.
We had to do things from writing a 25-50 word press release for Fleet Feet while using provided words, we had to do Burpies (thanks Jason for carrying us on that one!), we had to name the colors of the rainbow--backwards (it's harder than it sounds--try it.), we had water gun fights, throwing ping pong balls into buckets, answering trivia about presidents, hula hooping, doing yoga, lots and lots of running, and it was SO MUCH FUN.
Writing our "press release" at the Jackson VIP stop
Yoga moves--Jason put me to shame--but I killed him on the colors of the rainbow backwards :)
Check out that form! You go baby!
Melissa and Ian, doing their moves--we got the easy ones
Presidential Trivia--we spent the most time here unfortunately! Thank goodness we knew who chopped down the cherry tree! 
I am proud to say that we finished 14th and 15th out of over 50 couples--and that was WITHOUT PHONES (I had to say it!)--and we had so much fun.
Keep an eye open for this event next year, you won't want to miss out!
I love these people! 

No comments:

Post a Comment