Wednesday, June 28, 2017

"It's Not About Deserve"

Have you seen Wonder Woman yet?
If you haven't stop reading right now and RUN to your nearest theater and see this movie--not just because I'm about to share some spoilers but, because it is THAT GOOD!
Okay, on to why I love this movie so much.

For the obvious reasons such as the cool graphics, Gal Gadot is absolutely stunning, Chris Pine is nice to look at, the movie is so well done. But even more...
Would you believe me if I said that Wonder Woman carries some pretty strong spiritual elements throughout the story line? Because it does. Jason first pointed it out to me when we went and saw it (the first time) and then I couldn't stop thinking about it so we went and saw it again and I was in tears most of the movie because he was right! So much better when you see the theme throughout!

"I used to want to save the world, this beautiful place. But the closer you get, the more you see the great darkness within. I learned this the hard way, a long, long time ago."

The movie begins with Diana as a young child training to be the warrior princess of the Amazons.  An American pilot Steve Trevor, unexpectedly crashes off their island.  After being rescued by the now-adult Diana, he tells her about the war to end all wars currently taking place around the world.  Diana is compelled to leave home and kill Ares, the god of war, who she feels is behind the conflict. Diana was taught that her sacred duty is to defend the world and those who do not deserve the wrong doings that are upon them. As she grows and these beliefs become more embedded into her life and really become the essence of who she is and we hear Diana say more than once, "I will fight for those who cannot fight for themselves."

She is passionate, she is driven and she's pretty kick ass.

With many laughs & funny dialogue, Diana and Steve get to know one another and Diana insists that Steve take her to the war to defeat Ares whom she believes, once he's defeated that all war will stop.
(Wouldn't that be nice?)

Without going too much into the middle of the movie, we see their relationship grow and we see the extreme brokenness and utter depravity the war has casts on the people--all while seeing just how passionate and...awesome Diana is.

This scene, where "the guys" see Diana in action for the first time, crossing "No Man's Land" gives me chills and brings me to tears. It's just, utterly amazing.

Trevor said, “We have a mission! We can’t save everyone in this war! It’s not what we are here to do!”  Diana replied, “You’re right.  But it’s what I am here to do!
--cue her theme song and this amazing scene--
There comes a point where Diana defeats who she thinks is Ares and yet, she still sees the war and sees men preparing to commit evil deeds and it breaks her. And it's in this dialogue that we see the meat of the message:

Diana Prince: [in tears] My mother was right about the world, they said they didn't deserve me...
Steve Trevor: Maybe it's not what you deserve, but what you believe. I believe that this war should end. If you believe the same, then help me stop it! Help me, please!

So when Diana finally figures out who Ares truly is and he is making himself known to her he says the following to her:

Sir Patrick/Ares: You were right; they don’t deserve our help. They only deserve destruction. 

Sound familiar? Sound kinda like what Satan does to us--how he uses our wants and desires, things that should be good but we are broken and live in a broken world.
And all the while Diana is putting the pieces together and Ares is trying to trick her, he is trying to lure her in and make her see the humanity, the world, as he does

Sir Patrick/Ares: I am not your enemy, Diana. I am the only one who truly knows you and who truly knows them as you now do.

As Ares continues to reveal more to Diana, things are beginning to look dark and bleak for her. She is fighting her heart out and his power is just overcoming her, no matter what she throws back at him.
Then, there's this moment, where Diana is stuck in this heavy rubble that's wrapped around her, Steve is flying the plane full of poison off into the sky and Diana realizes what Steve has said to her and what he meant when telling her goodbye. That he was sacrificing himself for her and her life-long mission. And in that moment, her power comes to fullness and they share the following dialogue:

Sir Patrick/Ares: Look at this world. Man kind did this, not me. They are ugly, filled with hatred, weak, just like your Captain Trevor.
Sir Patrick/Ares: They do not deserve your protection.

Diana: It’s not about what you deserve, it’s about what you believe, and I believe in love.

And that's all it takes for her to get what she needs to defeat Ares. The realization that it's not about what these people in the war deserve that it's about what she believes and she believes in goodness, in protection, and in love.

Ah, I just get chills thinking about that last scene.
I will leave you with the last lines of the movie and URGE you to go and see it as soon as you can, if you haven't already.

Diana: "I used to want to save the world. To end war and bring peace to mankind. But then, I glimpsed the darkness that lives within their light. I learned that inside every one of them, there will always be both. The choice each must make for themselves - something no hero will ever defeat. And now I know... that only love can truly save the world. So I stay. I fight, and I give... for the world I know can be. This is my mission now. Forever."

No comments:

Post a Comment