Monday, January 4, 2016

Surety

I would say that most of the time, people see surety as a good thing.  
It can also be vague & sometimes even a little confusing though.
Yet, surety is what I have. 
Surety that The God who loves me, love this little boy just as much. 
Surety that He has a plan and that all that has happened, is part of that perfect plan. 

 I should probably give you some back story. 
At least, as much as I can. 
The school district I work in is considered "low-income" and with that description, I've come to realize that it carries loads of situations that are heartbreaking. 
Things that I couldn't even imagine living through/enduring currently, as a 26 year old adult, that these little 7-10 year old children encounter on a daily basis. 
This IS life to them. 
This is all that they know. 

My field trip I take my kids on is the biggest outing some of these kids will take each year. 
The free/reduced breakfast & lunch they receive may be the only meals they have that day. 
Most of the time, their homework is done incorrectly (if done at all) because no one at home helps them do it, even though that's exactly what they need. 
What are supposed to be pants are wearing as capri's because their parents can't afford to buy new pants when their current ones get too short. 
One starts to realize just how much we, I, take for granted. 
It's an awful lot and it shows just how ugly my little worldly heart can be. 

Those are just some of the things that we see most often. 
Then, there are days like almost 2 months ago where a student comes into your classroom and you see bruises on them & your heart stops and you feel it in the pit of your stomach and you know. 
Maybe you've thought it in the past, but now, now you know. 
"God knows what He's doing" is what one of my assistants always says and she's right. 
She's so right. 
Surety. 

The moment that little boy was removed from his home, it was like a lamp was lit and he was the happiest, most joyful child I've ever seen. 
He was so loving, which he had always been, but in a new way. 
He was free & he knew that he was safe, finally. 

But, then, only 13 school days later he was back in his environment. 
The stress, fear, and anger were being expressed by him again and in full force. 
Once again, "God knows what He's doing" 
Surety. 

And then today, not even a full 2 months since this all began, he was withdrawn from our school. 
No longer can we know that he's safe at least 8 hours of the day, no longer can we ensure that he laughs, a lot. No longer can we make sure he's getting his breakfast and lunch. No longer can we hug on him and tell him we love him. No longer can we watch him run off the bus and into our classroom. 
Here, right now, there's so much uncertainty.
Just like the last two times, once again, she said it: "God knows what He's doing" 
There it is, the surety. 

After hugging him goodbye and watching him walk away, with his head turned towards the school looking at me the whole time, I felt such a deep rooted sadness. I knew that he didn't fully understand what was happening and I no longer know who would speak on his behalf. 

I felt such a heaviness the rest of the day. 

Then, my Mom sweetly reminded me of Dad's sermon on Sunday. 
A sermon that is fitting for all situations, but great to remember especially for this one. 

"Our God is in the heavens, He does all that He pleases"
Psalm 115:3

This sermon prompted me to ask the question: "What hasn't changed since all of this began happening with this student?"

Our lives are ever changing and we never know how/when they will change. There is so much uncertainty, and that we can be sure about (ironically so).  

But, because of what The Bible says; what realities can I anchor my life to in this lifetime, on this side of heaven? 

1. The reality of the absolute sovereignty of God. 
Once again, "Our God is in the heavens, He does all that He pleases."
"according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will" (Ephesians 1:11)
From the greatest evil that was ever devised by men, came the greatest good--the death and resurrection of Christ. 
Sometimes His sovereignty is mysterious and confusing, but He is good. 

My significance, my security, my identity, my purpose, and my hope in this life, is Christ alone. 
My little student's significance, his security, his identity, his purpose, and his hope in this life, is in Christ alone. 

He is absolutely sovereign & absolutely ultimate. 

Praise God for His sovereignty. 
As my assistant so confidently says, "God knows what He's doing" and that we can be sure of. 

Join me in praying for this sweet little boy and all that he has endured already in his short life and all that he will endure in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment