Sunday, March 15, 2015

"Have Courage & Be Kind"

I know this is silly, but I can't stop thinking about this movie.
If you haven't been to see the new Cinderella yet, stop now and GO!
It is  phenomenal. 
Almost all little girls (teen girls, young adults, women, moms) love fairy tales. I was and still am no exception. I've seen them all & I've even dressed like them all. There's something so captivating about these stories.

Cinderella was one of my favorites. I've seen the original, I've seen Ever After (Drew Barrymore version) and now I've seen the new one. This new one really struck a chord with me & I think I've figured out why.

I would say their are spoilers ahead but...I feel like we all know the story...but still, it's spoiler(ish)!

I love so many things about this movie--so we will just start from the beginning and work our way through. Right before her mother died, she told young Ella to always "have courage & be kind". We quickly see her grow up and radiate that kindness to all she meets. As the story goes, Cinderella also loses her father and comes under the care of her "wicked stepmother" and two step sisters. She becomes a "servant girl" to them. Yet, as you'll see throughout the movie, she treats them with kindness and respect nonetheless.

I love when she first meets the Prince. She won't tell him exactly who she is & he doesn't reveal to her that he is the Prince. The moment he meets her, he's instantly taken with her. Her gentleness, sincerity, and kindness captivate him. From that moment on, she's all he can think about--to the point of asking his father to throw a ball for the whole kingdom--just so he can see her again.

We all know what happens next--"Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo"--We have ourselves a fairy godmother, a magical pumpkin carriage, mice that turn to horses, lizard footmen, a goose for a coachman, a beautiful gown, and glass slippers to top it all off. Purely magical (and also a really fun scene!) The ball is awesome and the Prince can do nothing but give his full attention to Cinderella and it's just great, so Disney.

The end is where it comes full circle and where I figured out why I love this movie so much.
The Prince goes to drastic measures to find this one, "commoner" that's captivated his heart. In the movie he literally goes to every. single. house in his kingdom. Then he finds her, locked in an attic, in filthy clothes, as a servant girl...definitely not the royalty everyone thought he deserved.
The dialogue here just had my heart racing. Sweet Cinderella tells him that she's no princess but that she will love him and hopes that he accepts her as she is--and HE DOES. I get chills thinking about it now. He says to her that he hopes she will accept him the way he is, humbling himself to this girl. They save one another in some sense--he saves her from her home and she saves him from marrying for duty rather than love.  As Ella walks out the door, she turns to this woman who has done nothing but belittle and use her, and says, "I forgive you" & that's it. What power in those three words. I know I would have more so wanted to gloat, brag, laugh in her face (just to name a few) before I would want to forgive her.

We have the perfect ending with this royal,  beautiful & joyous wedding..."and they lived happily ever after".

THAT is why I love this movie. This is another picture of the gospel.
There really is a Prince who loves us freely, for exactly who we are.
He invites us all, he wants us, he finds us, he forgive us, a bride & bridegroom.
Kindness. Courage. Love. Forgiveness. Grace. Rescue. Celebration. Joy.

It's why we love this story. It's something that we long for in the deepest parts of us & Praise Jesus, we have this in Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment