Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Autism Awareness Month

April marks Autism Awareness Month with today specifically being World Autism Awareness Day. 
Take a minute, think of an individual or family that you know that is somehow affected by Autism. 
A child. A sibling. A family member. A cousin. A student. A coworker. A church member. 
Think of them now, and stop what you are doing and say a prayer for this sweet individual. 

Being a special education teacher, I've taught 7 children with autism out of the total 15 children I've taught in my two, very short, years of teaching and I can say without a shadow of a doubt The Lord has made a deep, deep, sweet spot in my heart for these children especially. That's almost half of the total children I've taught thus far. Autism is such a common disability among children with disabilities and I am thankful that the world is taking the time to educate people on it, to bring awareness to those who may have no idea. I know that no amount of teaching will ever prepare me for everything I need to know about relating to and teaching children with autism. But I can tell you one thing, there is so much to learn and so much to see through their eyes.  

Another fun fact, Jason made his career changing decision to pursue special education because of one little girl with autism who stole his heart. 

In case you don't know anything about Autism, here are a few facts:
It is a development disability
There are usually deficits in social interaction, communication skills, and cognitive functioning
1 in 68 children have been identified as having autism
It is almost 5 times as common in boys than girls
almost half, 46 percent, of children with autism have average to above average intelligence
It is estimated to cost at least $17,000 more per year to care for a child with autism than it does for a child without--health care, education, therapy, other services, and caregiver time. Children with more severe autism estimate at least $21,000. 

I want to share a little something from the mom of a previous student of mine. Being the mother of two children with autism, I have a lot of respect for what she shares with me.  She knows my heart and she knows how much I treasured the year I was able to teach her precious son. 
She shared with me two organizations that deserve your attention during this month. 

 She shared with me that this organization has grant programs that are available to families. They also offer and provide something called "The Big Red Safety Box" which I had never personally heard of and when I looked it up, I was really happy to see that being offered to these parents! It's such a great thing. While I was looking up the site for the first time, I saw a message stating: "Our inventory of free Big Red Safety Boxes has now been depleted. We hope to have additional funding soon." They are in need sponsors and donors! 

As mentioned previously, care for a child with autism is expensive! Consider donating to a worthy cause that is doing a lot of good!

Another organization, which I can personally attest to is Joni & Friends Jackson. This past summer I spent a month interning with Joni & Friends and their International Disability Center (if you are interested in my time there, go to my blog here) and they are a wonderful, wonderful organization. 
They are faith based organization that offers education, support, and ministry to all who are affected by disability.  This includes autism. They organize and provide respite care night for families, social events, ministry dinners, trainings, and support for churches that are developing programs.  They do so much more and above all else, they love these children the way that God intends us to love, without judgement and questioning. They offer many events that can be volunteered for. Consider helping them by praying, volunteering, or donating. 

Joni & Friends Jackson is now having their first ever Family Retreat at Camp ASCCA in Alabama. June 15-20! This is huge for our region and I couldn't be more excited for the wonderful things that the families that attend will experience at this camp! Praise God from whom all blessings flow! Spread the word! Volunteer to be a STM (short term missionary) and have the week of your life! 

God is doing WONDERFUL things through this organization and we have a branch RIGHT HERE IN JACKSON! How blessed are we?

This month is very near and dear to my heart as I work with/teach/love/care/laugh/cry/hold/hug/squeeze so many children that have autism. I see so much of God's love for us as believers when working with these children who can be so complex at times, so questioning at times, yet so simple and easy others.  I am so thankful and forever blessed by the love The Lord has rooted in my heart for these precious children!

No comments:

Post a Comment