Friday, March 27, 2020

Psalm 23--Nana 3/20





 My Nana, Mom’s Mom, passed away peacefully early this morning. She was 91 years old and had the biggest & sweetest smile.
“The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.⁣
He makes me lie down in green pastures.⁣
𝐇𝐞 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐬 𝐦𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐰𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬⁣
He restores my soul.⁣
He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.⁣
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.⁣
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.⁣
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”⁣
When we were all together at Christmas, just 3 short months ago, I rode with Mom one night to take Nana back to her place. While we were riding, she started telling us about a woman that was talking with her about Psalm 23 and how she focused on the portion about how the waters are “real still and quiet so they could get a drink” as she said. And my Mom’s response to her was, “we need to be glad for still waters” and I feel like that’s a truth we need to hear & cling to during this time. ⁣
Who knew that simple car conversation would be so meaningful and fitting for such a time as this. Nana reminded us about what a sweet gift we have knowing that we have “still waters” available to us, even when it doesn’t feel like it. But oh, what an even sweeter gift we have knowing that Nana is now “dwelling in the house of The Lord, forever”.



At times such as these, I want to share with you all some words from my mom that she shared after Nana passed away--words that I think sum it all up and share our thankfulness to God and where her heart is/has been through this journey. 

"My dear mother fell in January and we have literally watched her waste away until midnight last night. She entered into her eternal rest with our Lord and Savior and for that I am so thankful! To be a mother is one of the greatest gifts that the Lord gives us as women. While it is a joyful journey it is also one of the hardest things we live out in life. My mother was a great mother in that she was always at home and always serving us and taking care of us. She and my Dad offered a safe and secure place for us and loved us as best they could. My Mom was very sacrificial in the way she lived and that is a trait I will always remember about her. She has been a believer for many many years and I can remember as a teen when we would attend church she would often be moved by what the preacher was saying and you could see her wipe her eyes as something would move her about God's Word. Now she will have no more tears nor experience anymore sadness or worry or brokenness again. She is rejoicing and is complete and whole and has run the good race and faught the battle and has won because of her love and faith in Christ. I will miss her laugh, her worrisome questions and concern for me,and the hugs only a mother can give but I will not regret her going home and I look for forward to seeing her again. I love you mama!"

I am thankful for the Ultimate Healer that we worship and run to in times such as these.  
God is good, all the time--and that, is where our hearts can rest.

 Just this past Christmas where, for the first time in years, we were ALL able to be together. 
What a sweet gift we had in that!


I want to share the lyrics to an Indelible Grace song entitled:
"On Jordan's Story Banks"
"It's a song that speaks of the new heavens and the new earths--the new and future Canaan; the heavenly hope that we shall know as Eden.  The hymn pictures for us a people of God "bound for the promised land" while standing "on Jordan's stormy banks." If you have gone through trials and tribulations of great difficulty, stormy banks you could say, then this hymn is for you and for us who stand in the midst of it."

On Jordan's stormy banks I stand, 
and cast a wishful eye
to Canaan's fair and happy land, 
where my possessions lie.

All o'er those wide extended plains, 
shines one eternal day;
there God the Son forever reigns, 
and scatters night away.

I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound for the Promised Land,
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound for the Promised Land. 

No chilling winds nor poisonous breath
can reach that healthful shore;
Sickness, sorrow, pain and death, 
are felt and feared no more

I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound for the Promised Land,
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound for the Promised Land. 

When shall I reach that happy place, 
and be forever blessed?
When shall I see my Father's face, 
and in His bosom rest?

I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound for the Promised Land,
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound (I am bound)
I am bound for the Promised Land. 
I love this version because you can hear all of God's people singing out to him, resounding with the hope that "we are bound for the promised land" what a hopeful joy we have in Christ Jesus!


No comments:

Post a Comment